Sunday, May 1, 2011

Glee: "Born This Way"

Okay. So here's where Glee runs into problems, I think. It tries to be Important. It does these episodes about legitimately serious issues that real teens deal with, like sexuality, self-esteem, drinking, etc. Often, though, it's unclear where the show stands on these issues. Sometimes, this is because the issue they're talking about is too complex to have a clear black and white answer, and the show does a good job straddling the line; you all know that I enjoyed the "Blame it on the Alcohol" episode precisely because it managed to show the pitfalls of drinking without being preachy or acting like it is something that no one should ever, ever do. Other times, the show makes me go "Hmmm."

"Born This Way" made me go "Hmmm." Overall, the message was, "You should accept yourself the way you are and embrace your flaws/quirks, because those things make you unique." At the same time, however, it acknowledged that sometimes it's more complicated than that: some of the things we think of as flaws/quirks are legitimate problems that are actually damaging our quality of life. Rachel's somewhat large nose? Just something about her that's different, not bad, that she should learn to love. Emma's OCD, on the other hand? A legitimate problem that she should seek professional help for. While this is all fine and good, there were a couple of things that bothered me about it:

1) The show seemed to be sending a mixed message about where the line should be drawn. Like, there was the whole storyline about how Quinn used to be overweight, and the other kids called her Lucy Caboosey, but then she discovered that she was athletic, lost the weight, and also asked her dad if she could have a nose job. Now, I *think* the moral of the story was that exercising and getting fit was a good thing, but that getting a nose job was going too far, which I can get behind. However, then you have Finn holding up the picture of Quinn in her "Lucy Caboosey" days all, "This is a picture of my girlfriend. I used to have another picture, but I like this one better. It's the real her." (And I'm not getting that quote 100% correct, but that's the gist.) Umm...what? Like, again, I get that self-improvement can go too far, and that Quinn always should have felt good about herself no matter what she looked like, but I don't think she was necessarily a *better person* back in those days. Like, yeah, she's clearly *too* concerned with appearances now, but discovering that she was athletic and taking up dance and gymnastics seem like good things to me. Like I said: made me go "hmmm..."

2) Some of the kids-- and adults-- seemed to be digging a lot deeper than others. Like, they're all supposed to be embracing what's different/unique about themselves, and everyone's supposed to wear a t-shirt with a word or phrase that represents that thing. So Will gets on Emma's case for wearing one that says "Ginger," telling her that she knows her issue isn't her red hair; it's her OCD. Her t-shirt, he flat-out tells her, should say "OCD." And then he comes out at the end wearing a t-shirt that says..."Butt Chin"? Really, Will? That's the biggest issue you have with yourself? You have a butt chin? And Kurt's up there in a t-shirt that says "Likes Boys" while Finn has one that says..."Can't Dance"? Oh, please, Finn, tell me all about how not being able to dance has negatively affected your life. For God's sake. (And, I got kind of confused while even writing this section, because what was supposed to be on their shirts, exactly? Something that they once didn't like about themselves or that other people didn't like about them, but that they've come to love and accept, right? If so, why should Emma's say "OCD"? Didn't they establish that this is something she should try to CONQUER, while Rachel, for example, should love and accept her nose? Do you see why I get frustrated watching this show?)

Other than that...I like that Kurt's back. Blaine and the Warblers got the best musical number of the show. I also liked "Born this Way," despite my issues with the t-shirts. "Unpretty" was pretty good, as was Finn and Mike's song and dance number.

So...yeah. More interesting than last week with better songs, but somewhat frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment