Saturday, April 23, 2011

thoughts on Glee: "A Night of Neglect"

Didn't care for this one, folks. Really the only parts I liked were when Mike Chang danced to "Bubbletoes" (I was just thinking about that song this past week, by the way. I hadn't heard it in awhile. It's pretty fun.) and the moment between Will and Emma with the grapes. That was the first sweet moment between them since...well, all season, really. He was creepy and stalkery for the majority of the time she was with Carl. Oh, and okay, I did giggle when the final category in the Smarty Pants competition was "Hermaphrodite Nazi Sympathizers."

As a whole, though, I just didn't think the episode was very much fun, especially for a Paltrow episode. I know people have varying opinions on Gwyneth Paltrow, but I like her on "Glee;" her musical numbers are usually fun, and she usually gets some pretty funny lines in. Tonight, though, she really didn't get anything good to do; I mean, they might as well just have had Will say she moved away to Cleveland, if they weren't going to give her any more to do than what she got in this episode. Also, other than the aforementioned dance to "Bubbletoes," I did not enjoy a single musical number this episode, which is pretty bad for a show about a glee club. Also...

A lot of the continuing storylines on this show are getting pretty old. Make Sue a legitimate competing glee club coach if you want her to continue to be a legitimate rival for Will, but come on. All of her little plots to sabotage the glee club are just getting stupid. Also-- and I might have complained about this before-- I just don't buy that the glee club wouldn't have more support from the student body at this point. Like, I buy that the glee club kids wouldn't necessarily be *popular*, and that certain jerks might bully them. But if a high school glee club was that good, and was going to *nationals*, the majority of people in school would at least be happy for them, even if they weren't super into it. More than six damn people would have shown up to their benefit concert. Like, let's assume that they didn't do a very good job advertising because they thought Sunshine was bringing her Twitter followers, but where were these kids' parents and family friends? Why didn't Kurt and Blaine invite the rest of the Warblers? Wouldn't at least some of the other teachers and at least a handful of students have been there? I'm just sick of this Everyone Hates the Glee Club business when there's no way that could possibly be true.

So...yeah. A few good moments, but not nearly as entertaining as I've come to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment