Monday, March 17, 2014

A long time ago, we used to be friends... (thoughts on the Veronica Mars movie) (spoilers)

Kristen Bell stars as Veronica Mars, who, since we saw her last at the end of the Veronica Mars TV show, has transferred from Hearst College to Stanford, completed law school at Columbia, and now is interviewing at a big New York City law firm.  She also is dating Piz (Chris Lowell), not still, but again.  Early in the movie, she learns that her ex-boyfriend Logan Echolls (Jason Dohring) has been accused of murdering his pop star ex-girlfriend, who also was a high school classmate of Veronica and Logan's.  Though Veronica and Logan haven't spoken in nine years, he calls her for help, and she agrees to go back to Neptune.  Meanwhile, Wallace (Percy Daggs III) is trying to get Veronica to attend their ten-year class reunion, which she is less than thrilled about.

I wound up going to see this by myself, at the last minute.  This turned out to be for the best, since I was totally dorking out through the whole thing.  I was, like, clapping my hands in delight every time a familiar face showed up (Krysten Ritter as Gia Goodman!  Max Greenfield as Leo D'Amato, all adorable and pretending not to remember Veronica!).  There was also a moment where Logan was about to leave, and I full-on whispered, "Please stay," and then Veronica said, "Please stay," and they start making out, and I did the little "Yes!" thing with my arm.  OH!  And there was an A Few Good Men reference!:

Veronica: "You stand there in that f'itty white uniform and with your Harvard mouth show me some f'ing courtesy!"

Logan: "Way to keep it PG-13, Mars." HEE!

As is probably evident, much of the pleasure of this movie is seeing the whole gang back together, and for awhile, I was enjoying it in a simply, "Huh, this is like a better-than-average episode" kind of way.  HOWEVER, at the point where (SPOILER!!!) Veronica's dad (Enrico Colantoni) and Deputy Sacks (Brandon Hillock) got hit by a car, I was like, "Whoa, everything just got kicked up a notch!" Also...at it's heart, it's really a story about Veronica Mars learning to accept and embrace who she is rather than trying to escape it, which is pretty darn cool.  Watching her put her feet up on the desk at Mars Investigations at the end was just so badass.

Anyway...I'm not sure how it would be if you never watched the show, but I loved it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment