Thursday, April 18, 2013

thoughts on the most recent Smash

Well! I always like this show for its soapy goodness, but this episode was actually pretty brilliant-- it effectively tied the Bombshell and Hit List storylines together while advancing the major plotlines in an interesting way. Also...Derek has had his douchey moments in the recent past, but I love how he was RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING in this episode and Jimmy and Karen both wound up looking like arrogant douches for not realizing it. There both of them are, thinking that Derek is just messing with the show to fuck with them, and they both manage to piss off their best friends, and then the show gets a BRILLIANT review and Derek gets to be all, "I was right. And by the way, Karen, your boyfriend's on drugs, I just loaned him a ton of money, Jimmy's not even his real name, and oh, by the way, I'm sleeping with your mortal enemy." ALL OF WHICH IS TRUE! I mean, he even looks like he was right with his whole "Get away from my woman" business, even though at the time I thought he was overstepping his bounds. And Julia was right-- his not being in love with Karen anymore *did* make the show better, because if he still thought he had a shot with her, he never would have given those songs to Ana, which was clearly the right decision. Yeah. Derek redeemed himself this episode, and I am happy about that, because I wanted to like him even when he was being douchey.

Meanwhile, I still hate Tom. Really, the only thing Julia did wrong by helping Hit List was keeping it a secret. I also liked Ivy more than I have in awhile.

Good job, Show!

No comments:

Post a Comment