Sunday, January 8, 2012

thoughts on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The guy at the ticket counter at the AMC on the West Side talked me into buying their Rewards card. Then as he handed me my ticket, he said, "You'll like this movie. Parts of it are kind of vulgar, but it's good. It's like three hours long, though, so go pee before you go in." Farily accurate assessment (though I'm not sure if I would have specifically chosen the word "vulgar"), good advice.

I don't have a ton to say about this movie, but my general assessment is, "It was like the book, only more confusing." I hadn't read the book for about a year, which I thought would be good so that I wouldn't be constantly comparing everything, but it took me awhile to remember who certain characters were, and I still feel like I'd like to skim through a couple of parts of the book again. Also, while some things in the book happen quickly and are surprising, here it seems like a lot of the surprises come completely out of nowhere. Plus...Mikael Blomkvist and Lisbeth Salander are both farily complex characters. Mikael Blomkvist also has fairly complex relationships with the people in his life, which I think is fairly normal for a man of his age and life experiences. I just don't think the movie captured those complexities, and that they, for the sake of time, had to skate over certain details that deserved more attention. I guess the thing that I liked best about the book was the characters and their relationships, and I was disappointed in the amount of attention the movie was able to give them.

That said, I thought the casting was good, for the most part. I liked Daniel Craig as Blomkvist, and I thought Rooney Mara totally disappeared into the role of Lisbeth Salander. Totally wasn't expecting Robin Wright as Erika Berger. Erika Berger, in the book, anyway, always just struck me as more sophisticated and put-together than the roles Wright often plays. I thought Wright did fine; I just wouldn't have pictured her in that role.

Obviously, I was squirming and covering my eyes during the rape scene. I thought the film handled it okay; it was just difficult to watch.

I guess that's all I'll say. I thought the movie was okay. I didn't love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment