Friday, September 30, 2011

Oh, Glee, you have hooked me again!

Oh, jeez. I wasn't even that excited about Glee this year. You all know I love it, and everything. You also all know that there is stuff about it that bugs me: how everyone still treats the glee kids like they're losers even though they're clearly awesome; how Sue and Will are apparently never, ever going to stop doing battle...basically, how we're supposed to believe that nothing ever changes, even though stuff in the characters' lives/circumstances clearly does change, and has changed. And I haven't been home the last two Tuesdays, and Fox took its time putting the new episodes up online, and I didn't even really miss it.

And then...I watched the season premiere, "The Purple Piano Project." And I spent the first like half hour annoyed because of the same stuff that always annoys me: Kids are still throwing stuff at the glee kids. Everyone's still acting like them not placing at nationals means that they totally suck, even though they've only been a glee club for a little over two years. Emma's still a virgin even though she's been in three serious relationships in the two years this show has been on, including one engagement and one actual marriage. More of no one being allowed to move forward or actually work through their issues, basically. Throw in that girl with the "self-diagnosed Asperger's," and I was ready to throw in the towel. Except...

...damn if it didn't turn itself around and get good again. Blaine joining New Directions?! Kurt and Rachel meeting a bunch of musical theatre kids who are just like them, only better?! And then-- THEN!-- they sing "You Can't Stop the Beat" from Hairspray, all decked out in my favorite color, purple, with Finn pounding away on the drums and Mike Chang dancing around like the pro that he is? You win, Glee. You win.

Oh. And the laugh-out loud moment of the night:

Rachel: "I've found the perfect musical for us: West Side Story!"

Brittany: "Is that the one with the cats?"

HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment