Wednesday, March 9, 2011

thoughts on Glee: "Sexy"

Hmm. This was surprisingly well-done, especially considering how skeptical I was during the first ten minutes or so. Like, first you have Emma, preaching abstinence and celibacy and revealing that she is still a virgin even after four months of marriage, and then you have Holly, teaching the kids how to use condoms and telling Rachel and Quinn that they're naive and possibly frigid for wanting to be celibate. And I'm sitting there kind of irritated with both of them, wondering what Emma's deal is and thinking Holly is being way too casual about the whole thing. And then, of course, Burt Hummel comes in and saves the day, telling Kurt that he shouldn't avoid sex just because he's afraid of it, but that he should take it seriously and that it should be meaningful. The perfect thing, balancing out both extremes.

I also liked that the show acknowledged how ridiculous it was that everyone, including Carl, was going to Holly, the substitute health teacher, for sex advice like she was some kind of expert; loved when Carl was all, "Thank you, Doctor," and she was just like, "Yeah, not a doctor." Also, I gasped out loud when Holly asked Emma if she was still in love with Will. I like that Holly actually figured out the reason Emma was hesitant about sleeping with Carl instead of just being all, "Just do it and get it over with" (though she did get a funny line in when she told Emma, "My lips are sealed...JUST LIKE YOUR THIGHS!") I was kind of bummed at the end when Holly told Will she was being sent to sub at a different school, because I think having her be the sex ed teacher at the school and having her pop up every few episodes or so would actually be pretty funny. I guess she'll be around more, anyway, though, if she and Will are going to date.

So, the verdict: I started out skeptical, but it won me over by the end. Oh, and I was impressed by both Matt Morrison and Gwyneth Paltrow's singing on "Kiss."

No comments:

Post a Comment