Friday, October 15, 2021

Reflections on the Chicago Marathon almost a week later



My training for the Chicago Marathon officially began the week of June 7th. I was still pretty trained up after back-to-back spring halfs: the Kentucky Derby Mini-Marathon, held in a staggered format over four days (I believe), mostly on running paths over the Indiana border; and the Lincoln Half, held in a more normal format with some Covid restrictions. I wasn't overly happy with my performance in either; I'm really motivated by competition, and the staggered format for Derby had us so spread out that I found it hard to keep up a good race pace. Not only was the Lincoln Half fairly hot and humid, but it was literally a week and a day after Derby, so I really hadn't had time to recover. I was pretty proud of myself that I was in good enough shape to do halfs two weekends in a row, though.

The training plan that I followed was the Hal Higdon Marathon Novice 2, which, according to the web site, is designed for runners who may have already finished their first marathon and are looking to build mileage and improve speed for their second or third. I actually used the exact same plan when I ran my first two marathons. I like it, but while looking at the web site just now I saw the Intermediate 1 plan and am preemptively excited to use it for my next full. It has runs five days a week instead of four, which I sometimes did anyway even when I was doing Novice 2, so I think I'm ready. The Novice 2 only included one race in the build-up to the marathon, a half-marathon. I did A BUNCH more than that, including the Don Childs 5 Mile Run; the Cornfield Cornfield, Boonville Backroads, and Harvest Moon Hustle 10Ks; the Dizzy Goat endurance trail run, which for me wound up being 12.4 miles; the What the Hill?! trail half-marathon; and the Market to Market relay, where my legs added up to around 14 miles. I know this doesn't sound ideal, but I think it worked out okay, because I was still able to keep up with my long runs even on 10K weeks, and the 10Ks basically wound up being my pace/tempo runs on those weeks. Also, most of them were so much fun; there were only one or two that I can even imagine NOT doing next year, so that's just going to be how it goes in the summer/fall racing season, I guess.

My first two fulls were the 2018 and 2019 Indianapolis Monumental Marathons. I ran the first in 4:37:35 and the second in 4:36:17. I figured I would shoot for 4:30 in Chicago and drove my Omaha running friends and my Indiana friend, Carrie, who was also going to be doing Chicago, absolutely INSANE trying to determine whether I would start with the 4:30 pace group, the 4:20 pace group, or just not run with a pace group and try to keep my pace under 10:17/mile, which is what I needed for 4:30. In the end, I went with the third option, only I hadn't counted on it being SO FREAKING HOT.


The Chicago Marathon has an alert system where green means ideal running conditions, yellow means proceed with caution, red means potentially dangerous, and black means so dangerous that they would have to shut down the race. The alert level was at yellow when we started the race; I don't even remember which mile I was at when I saw that it had changed to red. I DO remember thinking, "If they change it to black and I don't get to finish this race, I am going to lose it." Luckily, that didn't happen.

My first four miles were sub-10 minutes, which was a little fast but not alarmingly fast. When I fell back into the 10-11 minute mile range at mile five, I thought that was good; I was settling into a pace. A few miles were slower than the 10:17 pace I needed, but I figured it would probably all work out since the first four were a little faster than I needed, and I had it in my head that as long as I stayed at a net pace of 10:30 or under, I would still PR. At maybe mile twelve or thirteen, the 4:30 pace group caught me, and I ran with them for two or three miles. One pacer was going real crazy waving her sign around; I was already kind of fading and in a bad mood at that point, and all I could think was, "Take it easy with the sign! You're going to hit someone!" Or maybe something meaner. You know. Then at mile fifteen I was like, "Whoa! Why are they taking off at a dead sprint?" They were NOT taking off at a dead sprint. Friends, The Wall is real, and I hit it hard at mile fifteen, and harder at mile nineteen. At some point I basically abandoned all time goals and just focused on keeping going. Also, I drank A LOT of water. I carried my own water bottle; at some water stops, in addition to the paper cups, they had people just standing there with jugs who would fill your bottles for you, which was nice. I also ate, over the course of the race, some Skratch chews, two mini Honey Stinger waffles, and part of a banana that a volunteer gave me at some point in the last ten miles. They gave me I think half of a banana; I couldn't eat all of it, and as I threw the rest on the ground, I was like, "Oh, no, what if someone slips on my banana peel?!"

Another thing is that my watch didn't quite line up with the mile markers. I had been warned beforehand that the tall buildings and tunnels would throw off my GPS, so I knew that was going to happen, but it was a little demoralizing to hear the beep signaling a mile and then not see the mile marker for like a quarter mile. (My watch wound up measuring the course at 26.59, so less than half a mile off, which doesn't seem terrible given the distance, the buildings, etc.) At some point I thought to myself, "Well, I think I can still finish in under five hours, but who the heck even knows at this point?" That's right: I fell pretty far off goal pace. I ultimately finished in 4:56:24, which obviously wasn't what I wanted, but given that the temps were literally thirty-five to forty degrees higher than they were when I set my PR at Monumental in 2019, I didn't think it was that bad. The difference made sense to me.

Even though I ate more/better during this race and drank a lot more water than I did at Indy in 2019, I still don't feel like I have race nutrition totally figured out. As I mentioned, I am going to the next step up in training plans the next time, so that should also help. However, I was pretty happy with the training season as a whole. Also, wow, what an experience race weekend was! Everywhere had long lines, but everything was run very quickly and efficiently. It was also great that basically the whole city seemed excited about the race; a banner greeted us at the airport, and even flying out the next day, people were still wearing their shirts and medals at the airport, which was neat.




It was also, of course, super fun spending time with my friend Carrie, who I hadn't seen in six months, and her family. All in all, the whole weekend was a great experience. My next full will probably be a considerably smaller one, but it was great to have the World Major Marathon experience.







1 comment:

  1. Molly,
    This was beautiful! Thank you for sharing your experience with us!!
    Jill K.

    ReplyDelete