Monday, January 13, 2014

thoughts on The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Ben Stiller stars as Walter Mitty, a mild-mannered employee of Life magazine, which is about to publish its last print issue.  He has recently set up an eHarmony profile for the sole purpose of contacting a coworker, Cheryl Melhoff (Kristen Wiig); however, he has filled very little of the profile out.  He can't, because he's never really done anything or been anywhere, though he daydreams about doing all sorts of things.  When he has to go off in search of a missing film negative, however, he finally finds himself embarking on adventures he's only dreamed of.

I thought it was just okay.  Walter and Cheryl are likable enough characters, and it's kind of fun to follow him on his journey.  However, I just didn't find myself caring that much about what was happening-- that Life was publishing its last print issue, whether or not Walter found the negative, what might or might not happen between Walter and Cheryl.  This might have been a pacing issue; there are fairly long stretches where I really wasn't sure where things were going, or where I was supposed to want them to go.  This might have been okay if I had enjoyed the journey more, but I just found myself fairly indifferent to everything that was going on.

So, mildly entertaining, but didn't really move me.

1 comment:

  1. Nice review Molly. Not a perfect movie, but still a pleasant one that can be suitable for anybody who wants to see it.

    ReplyDelete